Thursday, August 18, 2016

Triggers

It's almost time! I just gave myself the first of 3 trigger shots and Saturday is Egg Retrieval Day. I can't believe it's already (almost) here!

A Week of Monitoring Appointments
I thought I would love having an excuse to sleep in a little and get to work later than usual for a whole week. But, I'm hating it! I've had an appointment every morning this week (except Tuesday). I'm leaving later than usual which puts me in traffic. For all of you people who do traffic everyday, I understand why you need lots of vodka. If I wasn't so broke from IVF, I'd buy you a bottle myself. I don't know how you do it! We live 15 minutes from the RE office but it takes me at least an hour to get there every morning. By the time I sit in traffic, have my appointment, and drive 30 more minutes to work, I'm exhausted!

Wednesday's Appointment:  My doctor did the ultrasound. I couldn't keep track of the follicle count but she seemed very pleased. My estrogen was at 1349 and progesterone was 0.3. I was instructed to do another night of stims and come back tomorrow. That's when she told me that we would probably do our retrieval on Saturday.

Today's Appointment: The same doctor from Monday did today's appointment. I really like him. He is so thorough with the ultrasounds and makes sure to get each and every follicle measured. I was trying to keep track of the count today. I think there are 12 but I'm not 100%. After the ultrasound, he asked the nurse to look back at my last IVF cycle so that he could compare. He commented on how different this cycle was progressing than the last. His biggest concern was that I get mature eggs this time and thought it may be a good idea to do one last day of stims, depending on my progesterone level. That's when he told me that he'd be the one doing the retrieval this weekend. YAY! I know he'll be thorough and work hard to get every single egg from every single follicle. I'm feeling so great about this one. (Yikes. I can't believe I just typed that. Where is this hope coming from?) The nurse called this afternoon. My estrogen is at 2055. Progesterone was up to 0.8. Which means.... TRIGGER TODAY, RETRIEVAL SATURDAY!  


The last night of injections before Egg Retrieval
(left to right: Novarel HCG, Lupron Trigger Kit, Omnitrope)


Tonight's Protocol:
9:30 PM - Continue Omnitrope Growth Hormone Injection
                 Continue Dexamethasone (oral tablet)

11:00 PM- Give trigger shot- Novarel HCG injection (This is the pregnancy hormone)

12:00 AM- Give first Lupron Kit injection

Tomorrow at noon I will give myself the second Lupron Kit injection. And then I'm done with Stims forever!

So, it's 11:30 PM on a school night and I'm barely staying awake. Waiting for midnight isn't easy. I've already given myself the Novarel injection and am so ready to give the Lupron and go to sleep! If I were to take a pregnancy test tomorrow morning, it would be positive because I just filled my body with the HCG hormone. Sometimes, I think I should pee on a stick after a trigger shot, just so I can experience seeing two lines for once in my life.

Mixing the Novarel trigger shot with a massive syringe
All that mixing and I only use 1 tiny mL


Tomorrow's Appointment: 
My pre-op is at 8:30 in the morning, where they will do more bloodwork. I'll get all of the information for Saturday's egg retrieval. The only thing I'm nervous about it getting OHSS. It's not really common but my estrogen levels are going up quickly and are getting really high. I was told that I was at risk last time when I had a much lower response to the meds than I do now. Other than that, I'm ready to get this show on the road!

Work, Work, Work
I'm getting a little behind at work. I was given a deadline (tomorrow) for screening students and getting letters sent home to parents. Ha. These appointments have made that nearly impossibly. Luckily, I have an awesome team who is helping pull the weight... and they have no idea why. I just hope I can get at least half of the letters finished and sent home tomorrow.

One of the most difficult things about having these daily appointments is that people get curious. One coworker made a comment when I walked in today, "Sure. Just arrive whenever you feel like it. It's a 'get here when you can type of job'." I know that she was joking but wonder if she's letting out some really feelings. The art teacher at my school was actually my art teacher when I was in elementary school. So, we go way back and I love her to pieces. We have breakfast duty together on M/W/F. I've had someone filling in for me since I've been at the doctor every morning. Today, she stopped me in the hallway saying, "I've noticed you've been gone every morning. Are you working on something important?" She had the huge, knowing smile on her face. I never know how to respond to people and get pretty awkward when they ask about anything infertility/baby related. I think I said, "Yep. Been pretty busy." She responds, "Oh good. I just knew it. I am so happy for you. That's so good." What in the world is she thinking?!?!?! Does she know?! Does she think I'm pregnant?

One last little note about work and infertility. I was pulled to sub in 3rd grade today. Sometimes sub positions don't fill so the support staff get pulled in to help out. A little girl notices my ring, exclaiming with awe "You're married??!?!!?" I answer yes. I bet you can't guess what questions came next... "Are you a mom?" I'm used to getting this question because kids automatically assume every woman is a mother. I answer them. Then, this little girl starts going on and on about a pregnant teacher, "Well, Mrs. G is a mom. She has a baby growing in her tummy. It's so tiny. She just needs to eat and feed it everyday to help it grow and then it'll be ready to come out. It's going to be so cute." At this point, I'm ready to scream, "YES! I know Mrs. G is growing a baby! I saw the Facebook post this summer and hid it from my newsfeed. YES! I see her in the hallway everyday and try not to turn green with envy at her growing belly and pregnant glow. I KNOW!!!!!!!!" At which point another child asks, "Do you even want to be a mom?" They have no idea how loaded these questions are. I hope they never have to find out. Leave it to a room full of babes to remind you just how shitty your luck is.


Edited Update: I just gave myself the Lupron injection. AHHHHH!!! It itches so bad!!!! I don't think I'll be able to sleep. I'm getting a little knot at the injection site and all I want to do is scratch. Looks like I'll be sleeping with an ice pack tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment