Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Let's Play Catch-Up

Oh my goodness. I have been trying to post this update for over a week! Life has just been so hectic lately. We vacationed in Boston, I started back to work, all of my friends have had exciting life events, and I've had some unexpected doctor visits. I got AWESOME news today... but I'll save that for the end. :)

Priming Protocol = ALL THE HORMONES!
In my last post, I included my priming schedule for IVF: Take 3. Assuming my cysts are gone, this priming protocol is supposed to help my ovaries produce better follicles that all grow at the same rate, providing us with more mature eggs. (This is also what the priming for round 2 was supposed to do... but didn't...)

Here was the schedule:
July 13- Started 2mg. Estradiol, and one pump of testosterone gel.
              Start baby Aspirin, continue CoQ10, quit taking DHEA
July 26- Start Prometrium (inserted vaginally each AM and PM!! Seriously?!?!)
July 30- Stop Testosterone gel
July 31- Start Testosterone Patch (wear 9PM- 9AM) each day
August 4- Take last dose of Prometrium, Estradiol, and Testosterone
August 5- Wait for period to start

Do you know what this means?I AM FINISHED WITH PRIMING HORMONES! HALLELUJAH!

Hormone Priming Misery
Taking Estradiol (estrogen) was a breeze. My alarm went off at 7:30 PM each night and I swallowed the tiniest little blue pill. Easy-Cheesy. Just like taking the unnecessary birth control I took for so many years. No problem.

Taking the Prometrium and testosterone was a different story...

Testosterone
Applying Androgel (testosterone) to your shoulder everyday is quite annoying. It was difficult traveling with this big bottle of gel and having to carry it around in my purse everywhere we went. I was set to apply it every night at 9 PM. There were several occasions in which I had to stop what I was doing, locate a bathroom, apply the gel, then stand around blowing on my shoulder waiting for it to dry so that I could put my shirt back on. I'm not going to lie, I was really late putting it on several times. I'll always have the memories of applying testosterone to my shoulder at Fenway Park, Harvard University, a random Chick-Fil-A because I was 2 hours late putting it on, two bars in Boston, a bachelorette party, a graduation dinner party, and much, much more.

I think the worst part of this was when I forgot to wear sleeves when I went out. Having my testosterone covered shoulder exposed in a tank top makes for a paranoid woman. The instructions were very adamant about letting no one touch it, including myself. I've never noticed how often people touch my shoulder until now. At one event, a story that I had rug burn on my shoulder from a fun night with my husband began circulating. This was the only explanation that would justify my jumping and saying, "Not the shoulder!" when my friend put her arm around me. I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at everyone's confusion.

Boston TSA Don't Play
Now, let me tell you a little story about carrying Androgel on the airplane. The container it comes in is over the liquid limit for carry-ons. But, there was no way I was going to risk putting it into our checked luggage. The TSA website said that if I put it in an easy-to-reach place and explain that it's a prescription, it would be okay. Sounds simple, right? Right! Flying to Boston was no problem. They peeked in my bag and let me go on.
Flying home from Boston was another story. They searched through my bag and pulled the Androgel bottle out. They didn't even look at the box it came in. Two different guys were inspecting it and mumbling to each other. I kept trying to tell them, "Look at the box. It's a prescription. You can see the prescription on the box." I don't think they spoke much English cause they had strong accents and didn't seem to understand me. I heard one guy say, "Test it out." At this point, my heart was beating 1,000 miles a minute. I reached in my bag to pull at the box with the prescriptions and got reprimanded. He yelled, "Back up! You are not allowed to touch anything right now!" I started pleading with him not to push the pump because it's very expensive medication and each pump is a dose. My husband even pitched in on this one, telling the guy it was very expensive medication. He just looked at us both like we were being ridiculous. FINALLY, he pulled the box out, saw the prescription, and showed the other guy. They both nodded their heads, swabbed the gel, and put it away. By this point, I was fuming. Why didn't he just look at the box and listen to me in the first place? That would have saved us all a lot of trouble! I was shaking and sweating from the stress it caused. Ugh. Men never listen. ;) He didn't even put it back the right way. Ridiculous!

The Patch
I began Androgen (the testosterone patch) two Sundays ago. The directions said to put it on at 9PM and remove it at 9AM. But, that was it. I had no idea HOW to put it on or WHERE I was supposed to put it. I had to search online, which led me to a lot of videos of females transitioning to males. So fascinating! I may have gotten swept away in looking at the results and cheering them on. I am very thankful for these videos, as they helped me understand what to do with my patches. Luckily, I only had to do this for a few days. It was hard escaping to a private place at work to remove the patch each morning.There isn't much privacy in an elementary school. I was also worried about throwing it in a trash can near children. I could only imagine what would happen if they were to find it or somehow get it stuck to their little fingers. Usually, I wrapped it in paper towel and shoved it into the bottom of a trash can in the office.

Androgen (Testosterone) Patch on My Back

Progesterone
Prometrium= the vag pill. Honestly, it wasn't terrible. I set an alarm to insert it every morning at 6 AM and every evening at 6 PM. I truly didn't mind having to lie down for 15 minutes after inserting it. I was able to get some reading time in. The worst part was when we were out at dinner or running errands at 6 PM. Most of the time, I just waited til I got home to put it in. Other times, I ran into a bathroom to insert it, forgoing the 15 minutes resting ritual. The awkwardness of sticking a capsule in your own vagina wore off after the first day or two. But, I always felt like I was trying to hold it in. The constant discharge and changing of panty-liners was probably the worst part. I am so glad that's over with. I feel like a free woman! I'm getting a nice little break from constantly stopping my life to feed my body hormones. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Prometrium Capsules (Progesterone)


Cysts Update/IVF #3
The cysts are going away! There were some strange things going on in my nether-regions a couple of weeks ago. I called the nurse cause I was worried that I had started my period too soon. They decided to have me come in for an ultrasound to check everything out. It turns out that all those weird things were good things! The cysts were shrinking! If you recall, I had 5 cysts before (all 4 cm or larger). Now, there are only 3. We could see that one was collapsed, one was at 1 mm, and the other was at 10 mm. My RE seemed really excited and hopeful that these last 3 would be gone in time for me to start the next round of IVF.

Today's Good News
Skip ahead to today. I was supposed to contact my RE on Cycle Day 1. But, I've been spotting since  Friday. They make it very clear that spotting is not the first day. So, I've been waiting for a "full flow." By Monday, I was concerned and my gut told me to contact the clinic. Thank goodness I did. They had me go in for an ultrasound and blood work this morning. As it turns out, I am on my period. The RE thinks it's a light period because my lining is so thin. Today's ultrasound was considered the baseline for IVF #3!!!! I start stimulation injections tomorrow night. As of now, I have 12 follicles. There are still two cysts, one on each ovary. They are collapsed and still shrinking so the RE isn't concerned. Therefore, we are moving forward. My anxiety was through the roof waiting on that phone call today. I can't believe this is actually happening.... again! PLEASE let this be the final time and PLEASE let it be a successful round! I just want a baby to love and call my own. I want to create a beautiful human being with the man I love. I wish it wasn't too much to ask.

I'll update you tomorrow with the protocol and Day 1 of Stims. Hope my stomach is ready for more pokes and pinches.




No comments:

Post a Comment