Friday, June 24, 2016

IVF. Take 1.

I think it's safe to say that I panicked upon learning about my diagnosis. How had my AMH gone from 2.4 to .74 in less than 2 years?!? At this rate, I'll be egg-free in a year... no eggs left! This made me super anxious so I rushed around trying to get the first round of IVF started as soon as possible. The second IUI had failed and I wanted to start IVF the next day.

That plan didn't work out so well. My poor husband had to do a lot of listening and try to talk some sense into my irrational behavior. There just wasn't time to get everything in place before starting IVF. So, we waited a month and tried naturally one last time. 

There are so many different protocols and options that come with IVF. I had no idea! First, we had to figure out how we were going to pay. We had a financial consult over the phone to review our options and pricing. (I did this at my Dad's house because it was on the way home from work. I can only imagine what he was thinking when I kept asking about genetic testing and frozen embryos). There are several programs that help infertile couples save money and others that offer grants. Sadly, we didn't have the luxury of time to wait around for a grant. We ended up using the Attain Program. In this, we get two rounds of IVF, unlimited frozen embryo transfers, and a fresh transfer. We had to apply for a loan in order to pay Attain who, then, pays the clinic. We end up saving a few thousand dollars by using the program, rather than paying the clinic directly. The other great thing is that once Attain pays, I don't have to worry about anything. I can go to my appointments and leave without paying or running things through insurance. 

(The financial strain of this whole process is an added bonus to help couples sort through their emotions in such a stressful time in life. Insurance companies really know what they're doing by denying women/men with a medical diagnosis' any infertility coverage. America is great. :-|)

Let's Get This Show On the Road

Every cycle starts with an ultrasound on Cycle Day 2-3. This is to ensure that everything looks good to go and there aren't any cysts. The RE also does a Saline Infusion Sonography (SIS) prior to starting the cycle. This is a lot like the hysterosalpingogram. The purpose in doing a SIS is to get a good look at the uterus and make sure the lining and shape are okay. They use the ultrasound stick/wand so they can see the uterus on the monitor. While the doctor is looking around and evaluating the uterus, the nurse is pumping sterile fluid/saline into the uterus. This was MUCH MORE painful than the HSG. I was moaning, sweating, squeezing anything I could get my hands on. It's what I imagine a contraction feels like. I just wanted to die! But, everything looked perfect so we were ready to go. 

I started the protocol on April 6 by taking birth control to suppress my ovaries. This is pretty common with most IVF protocols. Here is how the rest of my protocol went:

April 17- Began Micro-dose Lupron injections every 12 hours (6 AM and 6 PM). This was to prevent ovulation. I also began taking letrozole and dexamethosone orally. 

April 18- Began Gonal-F and Menopur injections each night (these are stimulants to get those ovaries working hard). 
                                            
April 22- First Monitoring Appointment (Ultrasound and bloodwork). I had 10 follicles and all was progressing normally.

April 23- Began Omnitropin (growth hormone) injections each night... along with the other 3.

April 24- Ultrasound and bloodwork. All was progressing nicely but I only had 5 follicles, which put me in quite the sour mood. Where did the other 5 go?!

Check out My Battle Wounds- that's just one side of my stomach!
April 26- Ultrasound and bloodwork- MORE follicles appeared! All look goods. 

April 27- Ultrasound and bloodwork confirm that I'm about ready for an Egg Retrieval with 9 follicles. I did my trigger shot that night to start ovulation. 

April 29- Egg Retrieval- They were only able to get 4 eggs from 9 follicles. ;(

                                                       
                                                                 Ready to Go Under


April 30- Embryologist called to let us know that only 2 of the 4 eggs were mature and that both fertilized. We will have to wait 5 days to find out if they grew to blast and are ready to biopsy for genetic testing and freeze.

May 6th- Embryologist calls to inform us that both embryos arrested on Day 5. We do not have any embryos to test or freeze. About $6,000 in meds plus about $20,000 spent for this one round is gone in a snap and we have nothing to show for it.

  IVF #1 officially failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment