Monday, July 11, 2016

Even Better Broken Arm Sentiments

Here's a brief update before getting into the fun stuff. Today is Cycle Day 1. At this point, I have no idea what that means. We have our "WTF" appointment with the RE tomorrow afternoon. This is when we'll find out what went wrong with the last cycle. We'll get our new protocol and schedule the baseline ultrasound (crossing fingers for no cysts). I was told to being a list of meds I have remaining from the cancelled cycle. I'm hoping we don't have to throw another $5,000 + at medications. Cross your fingers for answers and good news. I so want this round to work so that we can just be DONE!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you're dealing with infertility and haven't joined the world of Reddit, do it now! The infertility subreddit is AMAZING. It has been my source of sanity since beginning this whole journey. The girls (and guys) on this particular subreddit are the perfect combination of comfort, cynicism, and empathy. I don't know how I'd get through this chaotic mess without such a large, supportive group of women and men.

I'm about to show you some of this awesomeness I'm referring to. I shared the "Infertility as a Broken Arm" logic on the Subreddit and they came up with some even more (hilarious) examples... and reminded me of more of the tactless things people say when it comes to infertility.

More Bingo Phrases:
1) There are so many children out there that need homes. It'd be selfish not to adopt.

2) Be glad you don't have children. It's not easy.

3) I'd give you some of my eggs if I could.
 (Side note: You would not BELIEVE the number of people who have said this to me. Women who have been through menopause have actually said this. Do you really think that your menopausal ovaries can do what my 29/30 year old body cannot?!?! My husband was absolutely astonished at the list of people I gave him that said this to me. People really just don't know what to say. The other odd thing about this list of people is that they all have some sort of issue that could cause them to be infertile).

4) You're just too old now. You shouldn't have waited so long to start trying.

5) Just keep trying and see what happens. If you're not pregnant in 6 months/1 year, come back and we'll try something else.

6) You're so young! You have plenty of time. It'll happen.

7) Just don't think about it. When you stop trying, it'll happen.

8) This isn't so much a phrase as it is a common misconception: You had a baby with IVF. You're fixed! You're no longer infertile. (Nope. Being successful and having a science baby does not mean you're forever fertile. In fact, my best friend had her tubes tied before successfully having an IVF baby. She will forever be infertile and can only get pregnant again through IVF).



Translated into Broken Arm Terms (from the Redditors): 
1) It's really selfish of you to want to repair your arm. There are so many good arms out there looking for a home. (duppyconquerer)

2) Look, having working arms isn't all its cracked up to be. I have 2, and it can be difficult. (littlebells8787)

3) Oh honey, you don't need to use your arm. There are always people willing to help out! Use theirs. (ApricotPickles)
                           -OR- 
"I'd give you my arm if I could."

4) You probably should have used your arm before it got so old it broke like that. That's what old arms do. (sothisisfun)

5) Come back in a year and see if it heals on its own - 80% of arms do. (hopeitlasts)

6) But you are too young to need a new arm. You still have plenty of time to get one. (MarylandHokie)

7) All you need to do is stop worrying about having a broken arm... Just like that, when my third cousin's best friend's sister-in-law stopped worrying about having an arm, BAM! A new arm just arrived suddenly! That's all you need to do!! I'm sure of it! (trendingvampire)

8) Your arm has healed! You can never break an arm again!

*Extras*
Have you tried eating pineapple core during the waxing moon? I hear that mends broken arms. (Alces_alces_)

mrstreymcdougal brought up an excellent point! In most states, infertility treatment is not covered by insurance because it is considered a lifestyle choice. Even though many of the women who struggle with infertility have an actual medical diagnosis that disables them from being able to have children naturally... not their choice. If broken arms were treated like infertility, they would not be covered by insurance. Having a broken arm is a lifestyle choice. You should have been more careful. 

**Thank you beautiful Redditors. You're the absolute best!**



No comments:

Post a Comment