Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Happy Due Date

 Here we are. October 20, 2020. What a cool birthday date! But, I don't think this baby is coming today... 


I went to see the midwife yesterday at 39 weeks 6 days pregnant with high hopes. I knew it was very likely that this little guy had shifted and turned himself sunny side up in the recent days. I could feel his little hands going across the bottom of my belly and it didn't seem like his back and butt were on the right side anymore. I'd been doing a few spinning baby activities (as mentioned in the previous post) but it felt like he was turning the wrong way. Regardless, I was still hopeful that the 2 cm. dilaton and his head being "way down there" meant something would be happening soon. And, I must admit, I REALLY would love for him to come on his due date so that his birthday would always be 10.20.20. 

The midwife came in as I was having Braxton Hicks and said she'd like to check me. She offered to do a sweep of the membranes but I opposed. We did that with Mertoddler and it didn't do anything to help bring on labor. I remember it being incredibly uncomfortable and if this baby isn't in laboring position, then what's the point? So, she checked me and said I was about 2-3 cm. and she could feel his head. Next, she squeezed me in for an ultrasound so that we could get a good look and measurements on baby to make sure he's doing okay in there. 

While I was super excited to be seeing him again, I was also really nervous that they would tell me he's measuring small and encourage me to continue waiting for him to come on his own. But the opposite happened and his estimated weight was 7 lbs. 10 oz. The midwife was shocked! However, the ultrasound did confirm that he is now sunny side-up. All was well with his heartrate, measurements, and fluid levels. He was just hanging out in there, all smushed up and cute as can be. We got the sweetest little picture of his face so that's definitely an upside to him facing up. I DID get my 3D picture of this sweet baby after all. He finally cooperated. At 40 weeks! ha! Who would have guessed? He is freaking adorable and looks a lot like Mertoddler did in his 3D photos. I can't wait to see what this little guy is going to look like. 


After the ultrasound, I met with the midwife again. She asked if I wanted to schedule an induction and I said, "PLEASE!" I've had so many uncomfortable nights, Braxton Hicks, etc. I'm ready to meet this baby! Plus, I'd really like to be home and somewhat settled before Halloween so that I can enjoy that holiday with Mertoddler. He's so excited and I've ordered PJ Masks capes and masks for me and Daddy. If we were to wait this labor out like we did with Mertoddler, we'd end up having a November baby and Merman would have to return the push-gift to exchange the birthstone out AGAIN. Not to mention the fact that Mertoddler would be devastated if Merman and I missed Halloween. The midwife looked at me like I was silly when explaining this to her, but I just love having that special time with my first little love and don't want to miss out on it when he's at such a fun age. 

Anyways, she told me that they're being strict about elective inductions because of COVID but that my cervix makes me a good candidate and moves me up on the list. So, we agreed to induce labor over the weekend and she told me to come in Friday morning for an NST. I left the appointment feeling really bummed out. Not really sure why, I was fighting back tears all the way to the car. I loved seeing that sweet boy's face but I really wish I could just go into labor on my own. Maybe that's why I felt so down. Defeated by that fact that I'd been working to spin baby into position, I was disappointed that he spun the opposite way.

This is how Baby D looks in the womb right now.
Spin, Baby, Spin!


Once home, I texted my midwife friend (the one who delivered Mertoddler and is now a good friend of mine). I explained everything to her and mentioned that I would be pumping for nipple stimulation to hopefully bring on labor. This was her response: "If baby is sunny side up, you're going to trigger a bunch of false labor contractions with pumping. When the baby is in that position it causes slow labor. Hence you're 2-3 cm. and haven't already gone into full blown labor. If he was turned around, it would be happening. So you need to do the specific positions on spinning babies website for occipital posterior. Do that today and tomorrow. If you feel him flip and you can feel his hard back on the front of your belly then start pumping. You do 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off alternating for an hour. Also do deep side lunges going up the stairs. Let me know if you feel a big movement like you flipped him!"

She then called Labor and Delivery and schedule my induction herself! She's on call this Saturday so she schedule me for a 5 AM induction. However, we have to call at 4 AM to make sure they have a bed available. If it gets delayed, she said she'd rush them along to bring me in by 7:30AM when she arrives. I'm feeling confident that we'll be able to get in that morning and having her advocate for us will really help get things going. However, I'm really, really, really hoping that I can get this baby turned and begin laboring on my own. 

Merman and I have been working hard to do these spinning exercises. And while it hasn't worked yet, I'm trying to stay positive that it will. Even if it doesn't bring on labor, it'll make induction a lot easier if the baby is in the correct position. 

So here's what we've been up to!

1) Rebozo sifting






2) Side-Lying Release






3) Forward Leaning Inversion








4) Side lunges up the stairs


We started #1 and #2 last night. We did them twice. Once after Mertoddler went to sleep and again before I went to bed. Then we did them this morning. Randomly, I'll side lunges up the stairs and then stop by the bedroom to do the forward leaning inversion. So far, it hasn't worked but I did wake up to some major movements from baby last night so maybe another day of stretching will help.  

In the meantime, I'm going to try to soak up and enjoy the sleep-filled nights, naps during the day, one-on-one time with Mertoddler and the freedom of not having a baby on my boob 24-7. :) 


I knew this past weekend would be the last one at home with Mertoddler as an only child (as I'd planned to request a induction for next weekend) so I tried to make some quarantined memories. We took a family walk to the neighborhood playground one morning. I took him to Starbucks for a special treat and then to the playground for a date with just the two of us. We made brownies, watched a new movie while snuggling up on the couch. I broke rules and rocked him to sleep a couple of times. And on Sunday night, I laid in bed with him until he fell asleep. I've talked to him about how baby brother is coming this week and am trying to prepare him for Mommy being very busy with the baby. Yesterday, he came home from daycare with a picture of two teddy bears that he colored "for my baby brother" so we put it in the baby's crib last night and Mertoddler was so proud! He just melts my heart and makes me the happiest mommy. I know he'll be a good big brother but am so nervous about him feeling jealous or becoming super clingy.



Well, I guess I'll go enjoy my due date while still being pregnant! These boys just love being in their Momma. I guess I should take that as a compliment, right? :) Hopefully, the next time I come on to write, it'll be a birth story!

No comments:

Post a Comment